Sunday, 20 September 2015

I3 plate cross bracing

I decided it was high time I added some cross bracing to My I3 plate

I liked the look of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:603953 Simple enough to retro fit to an existing machine.


 I left the arms long as I intend to hang some spool mounts from them in the future.
 

Tuesday, 11 August 2015

playing with a diamond hotend

Some time ago I got a Diamond hotend threw their kickstarter

I finally got time to play with it



My main printer is a Prusa I3 plate with a ramps running 3mm filament

The diamond hotend I ordered was a 1.75 version (as 3mm wasn't available at the time)

So I needed 3 new bowden extruders, I went for the Airtripper Bowden Extruder BSP Edition
I also went for 0.9 degree steppers, to give me a bit higher control.

I whipped up some simple mounts in open scad and assembled and attached the extruders to the printer






The ramps only has 2 extruder drivers, so I had to hack on another driver. Since my gen3 electronics days I have a Pololu module I made up for the stepped extruder back then (when extruders were dc motors and stepper extruders were new)

(bad photo of external 3rd stepper driver... ) Much better picture

I then edited marlin pins.h to added in the two additional extruders. This wasn't easy, I ended up replacing pins.h with my owe that only contains ramps + 3rd extruder definitions. All the if defs are crazy in there and they had to go.

The 'finished' machine

I tested all extruders worked, but I am having some partially blocked issues.  (more on that later)

First 3 colour test Print, just a test cube, with me sending T0, T1, and T2 commands at the printer mid print when I felt it was time for a colour change.

There are many issues with this print...   my Purple line for eg is about 50% blocked Still working on this.
But still, success!!!

Lessons learned:
I can't stress this enough. Don't go all gun ho on this. You NEED to attach all three bowden cables to the diamond head before you do any extrusion. I had to learn this the hard way. I just connected one so I could test standard printing threw the new hotend. I totally forgot that plastic doesn't care what holes it comes out of. So it nicely filled up the two other E3D cooling heatsinks with molten plastic!
I'm still struggling with geting those two heatsinks cleared...




Monday, 8 June 2015

better way to install Sanguino in Arduino 1.6.4

After working out how to do it manualy in the previous post, I found a much more system friendly way to install it.


Download the IDE

Start up Arduino IDE

Open up the menu   File|Preferences

At the bottom is a field  Additional Boards manager URLs:
Enter "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Lauszus/Sanguino/master/package_lauszus_sanguino_index.json"

Click OK

Open up the menu Tools|Board:|Boards manager...

This will open the manager. Scroll down till you see Sanguino
Click more info, this will reveal an install button.

Hit install.

Close the Board manager.

Your done!

Of interest this doesn't use any of the legacy core code from the Sanguino install files.


 

Sunday, 7 June 2015

How to install sanguino in arduino 1.6.4 for linux

Edit: This is not the best way, see  better way 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post for the curious. It works but uses legacy code that isn't current.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several people of late have been asking how to get Sanguino support working in Arduino 1.6.4  so they can use it on Sanguinololu and Gen7 Reprap controllers.

Here is how to do it manually:

Firstly install the latest Arduino IDE and install as per usual

Also download the standard  Sanguino files 1.0.1, extract to in my case arduino-1.6.4/hardware

Now the fun part starts

cd into arduino-1.6.4/hardware/sanguino
mkdir avr
mv * avr     (moves everything into the new subdirectory, except avr, as its locked)

Now we need to create a new platform.txt, best to copy it from the arduino directory

cd avr
cp ../../arduino/avr/platform.txt .

Now edit the new platform.txt 

Find "name=Arduino AVR Boards" and change it into "name=Sanguino AVR Boards"

Now Sanguino is visible in the Arduino IDE but you still cant upload.

Uploading gives the error "Error while uploading: missing 'upload.tool' configuration parameter"

To fix this add {board name}.upload.tool=avrdude to each board section of your sanguino boards.txt

eg
atmega644.upload.tool=avrdude
atmega12848m.upload.tool=avrdude
atmega1284.upload.tool=avrdude


It now Compiles and uploads

NB I have tested this briefly on a 644p Sanguinololu, but not thoroughly. 

 

Addendum:

There is an additional issue that presents itself on 644p but not on 1284p
I don't know the cause, if its marlin or the sanguino files. 

If you get the error

"/arduino-1.6.4/hardware/sanguino/avr/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:132:15: error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART1_RECV"
 #elif defined(SIG_USART1_RECV)"


I had to edit hardware/sanguino/avr/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp
I commented out lines 132-133
//#elif defined(SIG_USART1_RECV)
//  #error SIG_USART1_RECV

It now compiles.

I had further issues with uploading

The dreaded "avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout"
This is a well known issue where the bootloader is not what the boards.txt expected. It can be the baud rate or the protocol.

In my case it was a old protocol
I changed the following in boards.txt
atmega644.upload.protocol=stk500

to

atmega644.upload.protocol=arduino

And it uploaded fine.