Saturday, 15 September 2012

boot loaders and Slic3r 0.9.2 notes

Just spent most of the night trying to get my Pololu USB AVR Programmer to put a boot loader on a 644p.

I've done this before on another chip with my works Atmel MKII AVR programmer, but it was a while ago.

After much mucking about I finally struck the right set of switches that worked for me

avrdude -B1 -pm644P -cavrispv2 -P/dev/ttyACM0 -U  flash:w:ATmegaBOOT_644P.hex -C avrdude.conf -v

(With a few full paths, for the hex file and config file)

The issue I had was that is was stopping at 97% eg

Writing | #################################################  | 97% 0.00s avrdude: stk500v2_command(): unknown status 0x80
avrdude: stk500v2_paged_write: write command failed
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 2.07s

avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-1

At first I had -B6 as per my old programmer, and I tried all sorts of larger numbers, but didn’t think to try smaller till now.

NB previously I had updated the firmware in the AVR programmer to version 1.07 
Documentation on how to do this can be found here

Another issue I had is that the Sanguino files here dont all seem to work.
I attempted to use the file Sanguino-0023r4.zip since im using arduino core 0023
But the Programmer advised me that the boot image was trying to load into the wrong place. I went back to the tryied and true Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip and had no further issues

Slic3r


Slic3r 0.9.2 is out.  But it seems to be causing a lot of confusion with regards to configuration files. (it really confused me till I had a long chat with Sound, the author)

There are now two completely separate configuration systems.

If you use the --load command line, and want to make any changes, you must use the export menu item to save them. The save button is for the new system only.

Pronterface uses the --load system 

If you want to use the new system, save your settings under new names with the save button. You dont get to chose a directory, in linux this is saved in the hidden directory ~/.Slic3r
NB don't save as default, default is not editable. You will just create two sets of configuration files both called default!

Now there is a big caveot with using the new configuration files. You can't load them via the --load command line option. They can only be used from the GUI.

Currently the way I use slic3r is to have different config files for each machine and filiment type etc. I launch Slic3r, load up my STL files, set my printer and filiment and slice to .gcode. I then just load the gcode into pronterface to print.

If you dont do it this way you have to export every combination of config files into .ini files and edit Pronterface to load the ini file you wish to use, which is not particularly nice

No comments:

Post a Comment