Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Updating my reprap software

My reprap has been running the same software and firmware for a while now.

I've been planning to try Marlin for a while to try its look ahead stuff. But I couldn't as I'm still running Sanguinololu 1.1 boards, these are not supported.
(I am building up a 1.3A Sanguinololu, but got distracted with other projects)

Today on a whim I took a look at whats has been happening with sprinter

It now has the same look ahead features as Marlin in the master branch!

This should allow for faster printing.

I have installed the firmware and got basic functionality working, test cubes work.

Looking threw the source code I also see

// G2 - CW ARC
// G3 - CCW ARC

arc G codes are now supported, this will mean no more straight line approximations of curves, when the slicer software catches up and generates arc commands that is... Slic3r apparently does generate g2 and g3 commands but the author admits its not well tested yet.

I also see

// M500 - stores paramters in EEPROM
// M501 - reads parameters from EEPROM (if you need reset them after you changed them temporarily).
// M502 - reverts to the default "factory settings". You still need to store them in EEPROM afterwards if you want to.
// M503 - Print settings
So you can set your steps per mm and maximum rates and and a bunch of other stuff in EEPOM.  No need to re flash all the time!


I also updated Printrun/Pronterface.  Only noticeable change I can see quickly is there is now a temperature graph on the main interface.

No comments:

Post a Comment