Saturday, 28 May 2011

Nozzles and blockages

A few weeks ago I managed to totally clog my 0.5 extruder nozzle.

What happened is I changed the filament colour from white to purple, after changing the filament the extrusion just started to turn purple then stopped dead.

What I suspect happened is that when I changed the filament I dislodged some of the fluff that was building up on the inside of the extruder intake.
This didn't melt, and clogged things.

I have now added a "filter" on the intake of the extruder, its just a wad of a chucks cleaning cloth.


After installing this filter I was really suprised to see just how much fluff was being collected. This fluff does not match my carpet, I suspect it is already on the PLA from the manufacturer, probably a remainder of the polishing process.


I already had a new 0.35 hot end pack from makergear
that I was planning to install sometime in the future, this blockage has moved that time table up to now.


This is the main parts, 0.35 bighead nozzle, heatcore and a V3 Hybrid GrooveMount base


To this a thermistor was added and taped to the bighead.


Finally this was wrapped in two layers of Rubber Coated Black Fiberglass Insulation.


This is the business end, as it where, as you can see the 0.35mm hole is really very small

This is attached to the wades extruder by their Grovemount system

One thing I have noticed is that there are two different wades extruder foot prints, this will only work on the older ones where the hot end is off center.
I found this out by accident. I was looking at how it fitted together on parts I had printed, and it just didn't fit. Lucky my working extruder is a older one and it fitted without issues.

You can see the grovemount sitting nicely between the wades extruder and the x-carriage.

The print quality of this nozzle is really nice, but the smaller nozzle has also come with its own issues.

Firstly the obvious, the extrusion rates have to be re-tuned for the smaller nozzle.
I have also dropped back to 30mm/s as I cant seem to extrude enough material threw the 0.35 to keep up with 60mm/s. I will try faster speed again later.


I also found that with this smaller nozzle the issue of warping was back big time.
The standard trick of printing onto Blue masking take is no longer sufficient. The extruded filament still sticks really well to the blue tape, but the blue tape is being pulled up from the build platform.
Presently I am trying green 3M painters tape, it has a lot stronger adhesive.
It seem to work.



Its all very green, but seems to work well.

A heated build platform would also help with the warping issue.. Ive found one online and the shipping isn't to bad, so I have orded one.

No comments:

Post a Comment